Nov 11, 2011

Bhajagovindam Part 7




गेयं गीता नाम सहस्रं,
ध्येयं श्रीपति रूपमजस्रम्।
नेयं सज्जन सङ्गे चित्तं,
देयं दीनजनाय च वित्तम् ॥२७

Geyam Gita namasahasram
Dhyeyam Sripathy roopamajasram
Neyam sajjana sanghe chittam
Deyamdeenajanaya cha vittam (27)




I have skipped one sloka in between since there is a guest writer who will give a commentary on that.
In the previous commentary I wrote about the importance of saying the Lord's name. This verse is also similar to the previous one. I am going to write about the importance of associating with good people.
Lord Narada, as always, had a doubt. He asked Lord Vishnu "What is the benefit of associating with good people?". Lord Vishnu is like the many teachers you see. No direct answers! Find it for yourself!!. Lord Vishnu told Narada to ask a parrot perched on a tree. Narada saw the parrot and asked the question. The parrot immediately dropped dead! Narada was shocked. He ran back to Vishnu and asked Him about the incident. Vishnu said "There is a calf out there. Please put your question to him". Narada then asked the calf and the calf too fell dead. Narada was really worried. He was wondering if he had committed a sin by asking such a question. He ran back to Vishnu totally shocked and Vishnu with His usual calm smile said "There is a prince out there. Go and ask him". Now Narada wouldn't go. Narada said "Prabhu! Once bitten twice shy! I dont want the prince to die". Vishnu assured that nothing would happen and Narada went to the Prince. Narada swallowed hard for every word he said, fearing that the Prince may die upon completing the sentence. Once Narada completed the question, the Prince laughed. Narada was relieved that the prince didnt die after all. The prince said "Lord! How is it possible that you ask this question to me while you are always in the company of Narayana. I was a parrot and the moment I associated with you, I died and came back as an evolved cow. The moment the cow associated with you, it died and now its a prince. Now! The moment I saw you I am enlightened. Such is the power of association.". Narada was speechless.In this sloka Sankara highlights the importance of chanting the Lord's name, remembering the Lord's form, enjoying the company of good people and sharing one's wealth with others. It is very important to pay attention to the kind of people we associate with. The more evolved they are, the better the chances of our evolution too. Many a times you may have experienced a pressure from others to do things that you may not do by yourself. This may be good things or may not be acceptable things. Hence paying conscious attention to the people around you is important. Some people take this to extremes and lock themselves up in seclusion. That will also not help unless you are the mature kind of person who can handle yourself. Become aware of the influence your friends have on you and things will automatically fall in line. Good luck with your associations!

P.S I am back to homeground and after narrating stories daily to my son, I feel that I am narrating to you as if you were a kid!. Excuse my narrative skills :-)
Translation: Sing the thousand names of the Lord, constantly remember His form, Enjoy the company of good people and share your wealth with the needy.

No comments:

Post a Comment