Oct 20, 2011

Bhajagovindam Part 8





पुनरपि जननं पुनरपि मरणं,
पुनरपि जननी जठरे शयनम्।
इह संसारे बहुदुस्तारे,
कृपयाऽपारे पाहि मुरारे ॥२१॥

Punarapi Jananam Punarapi maranam
Punarapi janani jatare shayanam
Iha samsaarw bahudustaare
kripaya pare pahi murare (22)




As I had told you earlier, we have a guest writer for this sloka.
Let us look at our life in 2 dimensions, the physical and mental. When we look back at our life all these years, the body just seems to be an accumulation of the food that we eat, many things have been taken care of by nature and the structure seems to handed down from our ancestors(eg: my nose resembles my fathers and my ears resemble my mothers). If we look at our thoughts, they seem to be a bundle of opinions accumulated from the environment we are in and most of them are from others eg:knowledge is from books, likings seem genetic and peer defined etc etc. So what we call "I" suddenly seems fuzzy. The body is not I and the mind too is not I, infact it sometimes seem that they are not even "mine", leave alone "I". So when we are born again and again, we keep accumulating this "stuff" with nothing being actually "ours" or "I". So why let this meaningless repetition happen. Doesn't it become boring at one point. Wouldn't i want to just quit this cycle. We do actions either for pleasure or when they serve a purpose. As we mature, we tend to do more meaningful tasks than those that are for pleasure.
For those who have attained a certain clarity in life, even taking birth seems to be meaningless until it serves a specific purpose.
I think I have confused you enough.
Let us say you are aspiring for a high profile job(equivalent to a higher possibility in life). Say there are 2 ways. In the first path, you need to study for 10 years and in case you do not perform well, you need to repeat the 10 years of study again to attain that position. Say you did this for 3 cycles(30 years). Someone suddenly told you that there is a way of working smart by which you would directly get the job. Now would you opt to a work in a specific smart way and get the job or would you be okay with working 10 more years and fumbling and who know what!! Its upto you to decide, there is no prescription.
But when it comes to life, we don't even know you have done these numerous cycles. We just think this is the one and only time. The moment the idea of repetition dawns, we will want to go. In this context it is very important to understand about Sadhus and avataras who are ready to voluntarily take up this repetitive cycle because of the compassion they have towards us. India is filled with such mahatmas who come and go by choice.
Translation: taking birth again, dying again and staying in the womb again. This is indeed difficult to break. Of killer of Mura please shower your mercy upon me.

No comments:

Post a Comment