Oct 17, 2009

Students ! the secret of our energy

As a teacher, the exposure I get is really wide. I see a marked difference in the way I see people after becoming a teacher. While in the software industry, I did not really make much difference to the team (size 300) or to the people around me. As my husband frequently remarks “if we could inspire computers we would have remained software engineers, unfortunately it was not possible”. Inspiring students is not an easy job as it takes few years to get to know what your students really like about you and by that time they would already be in the last semester ready to graduate. Each batch of my students has contributed immensely to my experience as a teacher-classroom teaching is just one little part of the whole show. There was this “suri” batch (suri is one of our students) which came in with us and graduated recently. It felt so good to see the little ones become engineers. These students often email us about how our “teachings” have helped them face the realities of the industry. The next day we walk “collar up” in the university corridors. I sometimes crib and cry about how burdensome this profession can be: you are expected to be a perfect teacher, a philosopher, guide, friend, mother all at the same time. But it’s just a momentary “let out”..at the end of the day our students matter the most…”baaki sab uske baad”.

1 comment:

  1. mam, ur words r centpercent true...
    pleasure to read u blog... :)
    -M.Prasanna MCA

    ReplyDelete